CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Craft Lesson #2

BEING DIFFERENT

RESOURCE MATERIALS:
Colorful World by CeCe Winans
Finger Paint, Pictures (magazine), Stickers, Glue Stick, Pencil, Markers, Crayons, Poster Paper

DISCUSSION
As individuals we are all unique, with our own talents and abilities. We are each gifted in an important way. It is up to us to discover our own light. We live in a diverse world where every individual is different. Once individuals start accepting that being different is not a bad thing and is a positive thing, they will be free to be themselves. Our world is a better place because we are not all the same.

HOW TO TEACH IT (K-2nd Grade)
I am going to read a book called Colorful World today. I want you all to pay attention to the different children in the story and how each child is unique and different in a positive way. After reading the story I will ask: What do you think is unique and different about yourselves? I then want you to make a poster of who you are, what you like, and what makes you unique. Some examples of this may include: what you look like, your favorite color, favorite sport, or favorite food. You will then start on your posters. The first thing you will do is place your hand in finger paint and then place your hand print on your poster. Then, you can start adding pictures, stickers, drawings, or written descriptions on your poster that correlate with what makes you unique. Once each poster is finished I want each of you to talk about your poster to the class explaining how you are unique and different.
This craft may take a couple a days so that children can prepare all the materials they want to add on to their poster. I will show the children an example of a poster I made of who I am and how I am different so that they can get an idea of what exactly I want them to do.

1 comments:

Ofelia Lawrence said...

I really loved this read aloud. It was an excellent choice of book. The world really is colorful and full of life and beauty. Great job!