CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Journal: My Name is Maria Isabel--By: Alma Flor Ada


I feel like this story touched a lot of emotions. We can all relate to how it feels to start something new. Maria Isabel was starting a new school and I could feel her nervousness because I know how nervous I would be in that situation.

It is heartbreaking to see that Maria Isabel is hurt when her teacher decides to call her Mary to distinguish her from two other Marias in the class. Maria Isabel isn’t used to that name, and she is constantly in trouble because the teacher thinks she isn’t listening, when really it’s just that she doesn’t recognize the unfamiliar name. Worst of all, the teacher thinks she doesn’t want to participate in the Winter Pageant. Maria is proud of her name and heritage and wants to find a way to make her teacher understand. I know I would be upset if there were three "Alicia's" in the class and my teacher decided to call me "ALICE". I would feel like a very important piece of me was just taken away, my heritage. Our name is a part of us. It describes us and gives us character.

I love how Maria Isabel finally gets enough courage to talk about how proud she is of her name and heritage in a writing assignment and finally gets to participate in the Winter Pageant.

0 comments: