CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 14, 2008

Journal: The Name Jar--By: Yangsook Choi


I feel that this story touches on what a lot of individuals may go through when they are coming from a different ethnic background. When we as individuals go to a different geographical location, we often may question what we should take with us and what we should leave behind. In the story, Unhei realized her Korean name was different when none of the children on the bus could pronounce her name right. She wanted an American name and her classmates agreed to help her find one by placing suggestions of names in a jar.


I found it very touching at the end of the story when Unhei decided to keep her Korean name and taught the class about her name. Unhei finally realized the beauty and significance of her name. Her classmates realized that being different is a good thing and requested Korean names too.


I do not feel that an individual should leave behind their name and have to change it just so that they can "fit in" or be the same as everyone else. A person's name is part of their heritage and makes each individual unique. A name gives everybody a sense of self and individuality. Changing that would be taking a part of the individual's heritage away.

3 comments:

Molly said...

I agree with you. I do not think a person should change their name to "fit in" as it is a huge part of their background and identity. I like how Unhei was able to bring her culture into the classroom so that the other students could better understand who she was as a person and not try to change her name. I think the imporant key in this book is the communication that went on between Unhei and her nom and Unhei and her fellow classmates. It was a learning process for all.

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

But do you all recall how tough it was growing up and how badly we wanted to fit in? Maybe you and Molly were so cool as it was that everyone else wanted to "fit in" with you, but not me. I was on the outside looking in, and I dare say, I did some pretty stupid stuff to impress the cool kids. Come to find out, now that I'm older, that I was my own sort of cool all along, I just hadn't realized it then. Hind sight's 20/20, right?

Alicia Ostmeyer said...

Yes, I see your point and how hard children try to fit in at times. I was a nerd growing up and never hung out with the "cool" kids either. I was always in my own world. I feel that maybe individuals should learn to be more accepting or that lessons can be brought up on multiculturalism and the different names, holidays, and etc that there are so that children will be accustomed to differences and more accepting.