CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Journal: When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer--By: Walt Whitman


I really enjoyed this story by Walt Whitman. Even though this poetic book did not have a lot of text in it, I still thought it was a beautiful story. I felt that the pictures in this story were incredible and gave us a visualization of what the poem was trying to convey.


I feel this poem has a direct correlation to life in general. Sometimes people are too technical and try to break things apart and understand what everything means. When really people should be enjoying things for what they are worth. For instance, in the story the astronomer was lecturing about charts and diagrams. Whitman then tuned out and started to discover the real beauty of the stars on his own. I feel this story shows that you don't have to be so technical and try to understand everything because real discoveries lie without all the technicalities.

3 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

In my earlier days, Alicia, I would've been one of those to be all technical and looking for stuff. An example: I would've, back then, said, "Alica, this is not a 'story,' as you call it. It is a poem and Loren Long simply illustrated it blah blah blah." Today, I read how you use the words story, poem, and pictures interchangeably and think, How cool. That's exactly what the purpose with this book. A story that arises from the pictures that are based on a poem.

christian freeman said...

I had similar thoughts about this book as well. It sort of reminds me of that science class we had last semester. Kids always learn better when they discover things on their own.

Mallory said...

Alicia, I agree completely with you about this book and I think you really stated your thoughts well here! I loved the rich illustrations and how the few words let children's imagination run wild. Just a good book overall.